Sunday, May 20, 2007

It seems like yesterday that I had seen my counseling result and found out that I had got production and industrial engineering at IIT Roorkee. Now I am sure after the results the period of excitement, preparation and sheer anticipation began for all of us but it somehow was a little different at my home. My Dad you see was a pass out of the 75' batch of industrial engineering of the then UOR. I am sure it was an emotional and a proud moment for him to see his son traverse his footsteps and he was more than eager to share his memories of his time at the place. Be it the late nights in ganga bhawan to the bakar sessions to the chapos to the dreaded Roorkee holi to the amazing friends he made. I was introduced to it all before even reaching the place and I was least interested in the stories. I as usual made fun of the place and his memories and wondered how even after 28 years dad had so fond memories of this place which I was seeing as some small town without any semblance of modernity. Its only now as I have reached the threshold of my own little story that I realize how insensitive it was of me to ridicule my dad’s memories (sorry Dad) and how I fight at home if anyone even dares to make fun of this place, I have grown to love and call home. Its been the most amazing 4 years of my life where I have had the great opportunity to understand the person I am and the person I want to be. I have met the most amazing people and it would be unfair to list names as I might miss out on a few but I would like to thank each and every individual who became a part of my life and gave me moments that I will treasure forever. I can see now how even after 28 years I would remember the night outs @ IMG, the bakar and movie session before the exams, the time spent at Nescafe and UG, The bun butter samosa of alpahar, the most amazing quizzes ever with litsec guys and almost everything about this place. I love every bit of this institute and its almost impossible to believe that come 2nd June I would not be a part of IIT Roorkee or would I be.I don’t know what the future holds in store for me but one thing is for sure that the 4 years I have spent here and the friends I have made here will remain with me for my life. I would love to say that I would stay in touch with you all but one thing is for sure I would miss you all and would remember you all for the special ways in which you have touched my life. Thanks a lot.
And despite my ramblings about not letting my children do engineering I wonder how it would be if they too happen to enter this magical place and then be bored by my memories to later on rediscover their own….If history would repeat Itself!!!!!

26 comments:

Proxy said...

Somebody has said... your history is your future's mirror image!! So lets just wait and watch!

Vivek Jain said...

I just pray you have two boys and they come to IIT Roorkee. Let this blog represent the future of the bald khandekar with your boys telling you the line 'ab mere to *** lag gaye' and then you replying 'dont worry mere bhi lage the'.

piyush said...

vivek fo that i hope ur sons or some jharkhadni comes to roorke for my sons to say that to them...and bloddy well hope that someone else gets a better cg ;)

piyush said...

ya rox lets wait and watch although it will be a long long wait :)

life's like that said...

hey! brilliant post..... it can be improved by adding a particular name in the acknowledgements though... kiddin'!!!
will miss u a lot.... all the best! [:)]

Sonal Gupta said...

ya thts true... we are so gonna miss this place.. jus 7 days left .. god i dont believe i wont be able to see most of u guys in near future ... ahhhhhh.. i hate leaving this place..

everytime i think.. it makes me cry...

RR said...

Loved the spontaneity in this post...keep it up!

Vivek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vivek said...

One phase of life over, now move on to next. I like to put it as the time you step outside your home.

Hmmm, I don't speculate about future, and let the future stakeholders decide on their path.

It has almost been a year that I left Roorkee. The memoirs still come alive whenever I talk to my college mates, juniors, visit the IIT website and stuff.

I think no one of us can ever distance ourselves from Roorkee in general and IIT in particular. It is good that you will always remember all the things you did out there, and perhaps bore your kids with your folklore. :)

You guys are lucky, you are spending one week extra in the campus.

Do well, best of luck.

piyush said...

@Vivek
ya i am sure all of us will take back memories that we will treasure and i hope the extra week is as much fun as the last 4 years...

piyush said...

@Soumya
i dont think i need to add that naem you will always have a special place..
@Sonal
ya its the worst thing to happen to me but lets have fun for whatever time remains..:)

k3w13r said...

Quite a senti one!!! I didnt know ur father is our grand-grand-grand-dad also!!! :D.. u know many of the guys including me had to reluctantly accept that i was going to be a part of IITR.Now i am shocked to realise the extent of change in myself. This last 1 month is the hardest of all. I still remember when at home, i pray for the hols to end up fast, and make me reach rkee asap.The times when i have issues with my parents, and i threaten them with going back to rkee again. For the first time, i had tears in my eyes, when i realised there will be no coming back now.and more importantly the campus wont be as lovely as its today with all u guys still here.

Unknown said...

A very sweet blog!!! If luck favors my child and he has an education that I have longed for I will surely send him to Roorkee else NIFT for sure!!! [;)]

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nishita said...

hey didnt know..ur dad was a passout of this place...
standing at the finale of second year i feel ur family has been cursed..two generations were made to cruise thru these lands of absolute madness!!!!
well no offence intended....i dont exactly hate rke..but i dont exactly like it too...reading ur blog makes me think may be..one day..i too wud start actuaally loving it...well all I can do nw is just wait and watch...

all the best for a rocking future...and i hope u wud like the place u are going to while wrking in it..rather than loving it wen u are leaving it...thats irony of life...we love wat v are gonna loose..ha ha ha...

Unknown said...

Hey, nice blog. U never told that uncle was an alumnus, and that too from the same dept !

ps: Ohh no, u'll be leaving in 10 days. Give me my icecream ;)

piyush said...

@laddu even i did the same at home waiting for hols to end..abs loved this place but i guess its bcos of u all guys that this place was sooo wonderful
will miss ya :)
@ tushar...i hope tere bacche tere se kam frusty hoon jahan bhi hoon :P and for god sake get over orkut har jagah[] tags me nahin likhte smiley :P

piyush said...

@ nishi i dont know why u dont like the place but its people like u who have made my stay here awesome and made me love it...so thanks and i hope u grow to love the place and the people around u

@manu now u know abt my dad and tujhe ice cream khila kar hi bhejoonga...

Spiralling Nerd said...

Sniff Sniff !! :(

PS
I sincerely hope history repeats itself.
:P

Venkatesh Nandakumar said...

nice one..

k3w13r said...

@juniors
I hated this place coz it was not among the best in ranking.and I hated this place coz it was reluctant to provide net in the rooms.and I hated it coz it wasnt iitb :D.but i luv this place coz it taught me how to 'survive' among the best.(Gosh i m a 6-aggi!!! :D).It provided me the best of friendship when i was depressed n felt lonely.and i thank rkee for having frns like G0lu, who invite me to publish my rubbish!!! :D

Anonymous said...

Its only now as I have reached the threshold of my own little story that I realize how insensitive it was of me to ridicule my dad’s memories (sorry Dad) and how I fight at home if anyone even dares to make fun of this place I have grown to love and call HOME..

The above line from ur post fully expresses what you wished to convey through that post..Ya,4 YEARS is a very long time and we would miss this place all the more a bit later in life(atleast that happened with me when I left my 12th school..it was once after I joined IITR that I missed my school days!)

Anyways, friendships would surely last forever, hope we all keep in AS MUCH touch as possible.. GudLuck for ur future :)

piyush said...

@abhishek ya these 4 years have been so memorable...i just hope i can stay in touch with everyone...cheers to the future!!!

Withered said...

Boo Hoo Hoo! That's one utterly sentimental blog! I suppose the attachment over four years is just to dear and sacred for us to comprehend right now. We'll miss you sorely. Stay in touch!

M&M said...

dude we all miss u..

Anonymous said...

Прочитала - оч понравилось, спасибо. [url=http://profvesti.ru/o-stroitelstve-domov/64-stroitelstvo-derevyannykh-domov.html]капитальный ремонт квартир[/url]